The Shed & Junk

We were convinced we were going to have to tear down this shed to replace it, but my dad convinced Evan and I that we might be better off repairing the one we’ve got. It may not be new, but at least it’s improved. And by improved I mean functioning acceptably.

Shed Before. I got poison ivy for this shot.

Another “before” shot that spurred that poison ivy.

This is the best “before” shot I could get of the junk.

And now?

New and improved…or just improved!

First, let’s acknowledge that I probably just got more poison ivy to go out and get this picture, even though I went out there with poison ivy killer and sprayed everything on a vine. This is after a junk team came and removed an entire truckload. At least now, instead of old doors, plywood, plastic tubing, etc., what’s left is organic. Mostly rotten logs and tree stumps. This way we might be able to clean up the rest ourselves get a landscaper in here for a bit cheaper.

Now, the shed. Here’s what we did to the shed (I’m using the term “we” here loosely, as I did about 0% of this work):

  • Swept it out
  • Removed wet leaves & tree branches so that they weren’t rotting the shed
  • Replaced part of rotted floor
  • Replaced part of rotted siding
  • Replaced stairs with ramp
  • Installed a steel door

Here’s what’s left to do

  • Paint
  • Reinforce ramp with another layer of plywood
  • Repair roof

So, it may not look pretty yet to the untrained eye, but it’s functional, and it’s a big step in the right direction. Comparatively, painting should be a snap. Right now though, I’m going to wait until some of that poison ivy dies.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s